Have your hair and makeup done when you hear your half-hour call. You'll be dressed in a costume fitted especially to you. Be on stage with the chorus at the Sydney Opera House — the world’s most famous building. The footlights glint in your eyes as you take your place in performance. Be surrounded by the sound of fifty people singing in perfect harmony, the power of the human voice ringing out over a crowd of 1500 people.
This is opera from the star’s perspective, and tonight, the experience is all yours.
A walk-on role with Opera Australia lets you explore so much more than the stage. You’ll visit the Opera Australia studio and a costume dresser will fit you with a handmade costume. The Assistant Director will take you through what happens on stage — when you need to be still, when you need to be a star. On the night of your performance, you’ll enter the Sydney Opera House house via stage door and report to hair and makeup to have your show make-up and wig applied. Then, you’ll mount the stairs to the stage to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience, while someone you love watches from the auditorium.
- This experience will take place at the Sydney Opera House or Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour on a mutually agreed upon date based on availability and COVID safe protocols.
- Not all opera productions are suitable for a walk-on role, so the opera choice will be at Opera Australia's discretion.
- The experience will only be available once approved as part of Opera Australia’s COVID safe plan. It may be rescheduled or cancelled as a result of COVID safe protocols. If cancelled, payment will be refunded in full.
- Cost includes 1 person on stage and 1 guest in the audience.
- The participant is on stage with the chorus, but does not sing. The participant will be on stage only when the chorus is performing. This will likely be around 15-20 minutes. Exact timing is subject to change.
- Participant must be at least 16. The participant must be able to walk up and down stairs and on a sloped stage.
To book: email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss opera and date selection and availability.
Propose on stage
Propose on stage at Opera Australia’s Great Opera Hits at the Sydney Opera House, and give the object of your affection the surprise of their lives.
It’s already so romantic: dressing up, heading to the theatre, basking in the emotion of all that glorious music.
But you’re a bit nervous. This isn’t just any date. You check your pocket for the hundredth time (the ring is still there).
Up on stage, under the lights, you get down on one knee…
Ride the romantic momentum of a night at the opera with a proposal that’ll truly knock their socks off.
To book: email email@example.com to discuss opera and date selection and availability
Anniversary Rescue Package
According to our research, 40% of Sydneysiders have forgotten an anniversary.
So, we’ve put together a special package to save the day. We’ll hold two of the best seats in the house for every opera performance at the Sydney Opera House, just in case you need that last minute anniversary surprise.
Enjoy a complimentary drink at Sydney Opera House and the gift of a stunning bouquet of POHO flowers. Then, see your names presented on a surtitle screen before the show from the two best seats in the house, saved especially for you.
Treat your loved-one to an evening to remember. It’s opera to the rescue.
Save your special occasion with Opera Australia and see an opera at Sydney Opera House.
Call us on 02 9318 8200 to book by 2pm on the day of the performance.